Monday, July 5, 2010

Gutshot - GenCon Oz practice run

Last week , when back in Bundaberg, I ran a Gutshot game as a practice run for when I run my Gutshot event at GenCon Oz this year in September.  The events I am running are demo games of the rules, with all those who participate entered in to a raffle drawn after the second session on both the Saturday and Sunday.  Currently I have two rule books and 2 Arnica buildings as prizes (Thanks to Mike at Hawgleg Publishing, the authors of Gutshot and the owners of Arnica Real Estate)

I was happy with the way the game ran and it did show me a couple of things that I need to be aware of when I run the actual events.  These are:  Paint up a couple more miniatures, have more copies of the 5-8 Target Number character types and the final and probably most important is that all characters will have a pistol, even if the model doesn’t have one.

Here are some photos of the night (Flickr seems to have changed the way do things and I cant seem to get the pictures to work properly, so here are some from my computer, apologies for them being small)

 GenCon prac 1

Here are the wanna-be gun fighters – evil lookin’ bunch if you ask me, a short rope and a long drop is too good for the lot of ‘em, if you ask me.

GenCon prac 6

This came about as one player(Britt, second from the left in the above photo) chose two characters with shot guns only.  The sheriff ran down and unloaded both barrells into a bounty hunter and rolled double ones.  This meant that a fumble resulted and the worst result was rolled and the shotgun blew up in his hands, leaving him face the bounty hunter and cowboy, weaponless.  After these 2 had their next turn each, the sheriff was left with only 1 hit point left.  Britt’s next rolls were just as bad as his gambler (priest mini) then came down to assist his comrade and unloaded both barrels of his shot gun and then rolled double ones again, luckily he was ‘lucky’(he had the trait lucky) and rerolled, this resulted in the slaying of the bounty hunter and also the accidental killing of the sheriff as he was caught in the blast radius and took the final point of damage needed to kill him.

Set up of the four groups

 GenCon prac 2

GenCon prac 3

GenCon prac 4

GenCon prac 5

The following pictures are at the end of turn 1

GenCon prac 7

GenCon prac 8

GenCon prac 9

End of turn 2

GenCon prac 10

GenCon prac 11

GenCon prac 12

The game only lasted about 3 hours and we only had the 2 turns.  All enjoyed the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment